For those who are not ready to tackle quilt blocks or the outfit of their dreams — or even a simple set of curtains — School of Sewing I is the place to be. The only prerequisite is that you attend a private $25 Meet Your Maker session with your/our sewing machine and staff at Cate’s Sew Modern. (You can book this over the phone after registering for School of Sewing itself.) From there, you will be prepared to build the confidence these projects will give you.
Over these six sessions, we will use Shea Henderson’s text, “School of Sewing” as a reference for the first projects you will make. These items were picked very specifically to prepare you to pursue quilting, garment sewing, home decor or any other project from here. You can also go on to the second module, School of Sewing II, which gives you a taste of garment-making, quilting, more home dec and “specialty projects.”
Major Accomplishments in School of Sewing I:
- Sewing machine familiarity and a notated stitch dictionary
- French seam pillowcase with decorative flange (you will use a pre-cut kit)
- Box-bottom drawstring bag (you will use a kit here as well)
- Utility Apron (here you learn to cut with rotary blade and mat)
- Pillow with covered zipper and edge finished with binding