This class, the first of our new 2022-2023 “Runners Up” flight of classes, builds progressively on skills for those who have completed one of our “Intro to Quilting” at some point, or if an attendee can cut precisely and, at class, sew a consistent 1/4” seam. If you’re unsure, just call the shop!
We will create a fall-to-winter table runner top in this class which will be a classic you can use every fall season for years to come, all based on a simple combination of squares and half-square triangles (HSTs) that will give you confidence in mastering the most versatile block in the panoply of the blocks you need for a successful quilt of any size. One portion of the leaf takes advantage of a ruler that we will demonstrate, used to create the “burst block” which is at the longest pointed leaf tips.
PLEASE NOTE! You will expected to cut the pieces ahead of time. If you have a busy workweek, you are welcome to come in during Saturday morning for an early (free) open sew if you haven’t had time to cut during the work week. This helps us keep the costs down for you with a 4-hour class. We also include an open sew, gratis, for every workshop; normally this is an $18-$20 value.
We also offer “Finish that Quilt” classes every couple of months if you need help making a quilt sandwich and quilting the project on a domestic machine. Look for that class as well on the roster! Any staff member is qualified to teach this class!
Date and Time: November 12th, 1:30 AM – 5:30 PM
Before Coming to Class:
- Purchase your fabric. Please do not wait until the day of to purchase fabric! Please also ensure if you’re using fabric from your stash that you have the required yardage.
- Trace your pattern on tracing material with all the markings and cut it out. (This is taught in Garments 101)
- ALL FABRIC MUST BE PRECUT TO FINISH TOP
- **Pre-wash your fabric**
- If your fabric looks prone to fraying, zig zag stitch the cut edge before washing.
- You want to make sure your fabric does all of it’s shrinking before sewing it into a garment so you don’t get weird pulling after your first wash. Use your best judgment, but generally you want to put it through a tough wash and dry cycle prior to sewing, and then care for it delicately post sewing.
- Use a Color Catcher if you’re concerned about colors bleeding and running.
- At the very least pre-wash your fabric as you’ll be washing it after it becomes a garment.
- Take it out after drying immediately, block, iron, and roll so your fabric is wrinkle free and prepped for class
- Don’t forget to pack a lunch or bring some cash for food!
Instructor: Susan Ortoleva
Sewing Machine Rentals: We provide sewing machine rentals during all our classes for $5 per session. If you would like to rent one, you can pay here or in store.
Please call the shop at (203) 421-6853 during business hours if you have any questions.
Don’t forget you get 15% off all the supplies purchased from Cate’s Sew Modern for your class!